So unless you have been living under a rock you will have by now fully embraced the use of retinol products or at least will have hear murmurings about this skincare heavy weight. If you want to avoid dull, dusty, Miss Havisham territory you need to get on it.
Bow at its feet.
What is Retinol?
Retinol is a derivative of vitmain A and has been used in skincare products since the 1970’s. However, it hasn’t been until recently that more “user-friendly” products that are sold over the counter have become widely available.
What does it actually do?
Retinol acts directly on the DNA in skin cells and boost cell function that tend so slow down once we hit 30. They increase cell turnover which enhances radiance as well as thickening the second layer of the epidermis which makes the skin look firmer.
But the good stuff doesn’t stop there…..! Retinol also boosts the production of collagen and prevent it’s breakdown, help skin hold hydration and help balance oil production.
It is basically the holy grail of skincare.
How do I apply a retinol product?
Different brands will give you different instructions but a few key things to remember are:
• Retinols go onto the skin after cleansing and toning
• You can use other products but these should go on afterwards
• Don’t apply a lot – a little goes a long way. Save your pennies.
• Don’t expect overnight results – there is scientific evidence to suggest it can take up to 12 weeks to see a difference
• Don’t use them every night – take it easy! I would suggest twice a week to start.
So in summary if you are over 30 and are not yet using a retinol product I suggest you get your paws on one ASAP! If you have any questions about retinol, what it does, how to use it, what to expect then please get in touch.